Apply for a U.S. Visa
Drop Box Submission Procedures
On this page:
Some applicants may not require an interview to receive a visa. These applicants may create their profile online then submit their application material through Toll Priority. These applicants must complete the DS-160 Form and pay the application (MRV) fee.
Qualifications for Visa Application by Mail
If you are applying for a visa type that you have previously been approved for, such as a work visa or tourist visa, you may qualify for an exemption to the interview requirement.
With limited exceptions, applicants for U.S. visas worldwide must have their fingerprints taken at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate. However, certain applicants may now be eligible for U.S. visa issuance without being interviewed by a Consular officer. To see if you qualify, please complete the checklist below:
- I am applying for the same type of visa within 48 months of the expiration of my previous visa.
- I have previously provided a full set of 10 fingerprints at a Consulate during a visa interview.
- I am an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
- I am a resident of the Consular district in which I am applying for my visa.
- My previous visa was approved at the time of the interview without any correspondence from the Consulate indicating that my application required further administrative processing.
If you checked all of the above questions, you may be exempt from appearing in person for a visa interview.
In addition, the following requirements must be met:
- My previous visa was not lost, stolen, or revoked.
- I have not changed my name or nationality since the issuance of my last U.S. visa.
- I have not been previously refused a visa or entry into the United States.
- My previous visa did not require a waiver of ineligibility (For example: criminal convictions).
- I have had no arrests or convictions (other than minor traffic violations) that have occurred since my previous visa was issued.
- I have no ineligibilities or reason to believe that I have failed to comply with U.S. immigration law.
- I am currently in the Consular District in which I am applying
If after reading the above information you do not qualify for an interview exemption, click here to schedule an appointment and appear in person for a nonimmigrant visa interview at a U.S. Consulate.
If you meet all of the criteria but your previous visa was issued using only two fingerprints and you have not yet supplied all ten fingerprints, click here to schedule an appointment to appear at a Consulate to enroll your fingerprints.
How to Apply
If you meet the requirements above, follow the steps below to create a profile and continue the application process.
Complete the non-immigrant Visa Electronic Application (DS-160) form.
Pay the visa application (MRV) fee.
Click here to create a profile as a new user, or access your current profile if it already exists. Once logged in, choose “Schedule appointment” and answer all questions. At the end of the steps, print out the “Mail-in/Renewal Confirmation Letter” which you will include with your visa application to be mailed.
Gather your DS-160 confirmation page, MRV fee receipt, current and previous passports, photo, and a letter explaining your travel purpose and itinerary. Depending on the visa category, you may require additional documentation and a reciprocity fee. Please refer to your specific visa category page for additional required documents or the EMBASSY WEBSITE for the fee information.
Step 5 - Submission of Documents
- Print out this Drop Box Confirmation Letter and keep in a safe place.
- Within 3 business days you will receive an express post envelope containing a prepaid satchel printed with delivery details of the US Consulate.
- Place your drop box letter and all your supporting documentation into the prepaid satchel and seal.
- Record the unique tracking number and keep in a safe place.
- Call Toll on 131 531 to collect your satchel.
- Toll will deliver your submission to the relevant US Consulate General.
Important Note: The use of the mail-in service does not guarantee visa issuance. In some cases, applicants may still be required to appear for a visa interview at the Embassy or Consulate. Examples of this include incomplete and/or inaccurate applications.
Requirements for Submission
- All applicants must send the passport with the prior visa in it with their application.
- MRV Fee Receipt. If you paid by EFT, please attach the transaction record.
- Issuance/Reciprocity Fee. Please check the table at http://canberra.usembassy.gov/niv_fees.html determine if you must pay a reciprocity fee. If required, please include a bank check or money order payable to "U.S. Consulate General."