Renew My Visa
On this page:
In an effort to improve customer service, the U.S. government allows nonimmigrant visa applicants to renew their visas without an interview under the Interview Waiver Program. This program is not for first-time applicants. It is only for certain applicants renewing their visas and some restrictions may also apply.
If you are applying for B, C1/D, F, M, J, O, and Q category visa, please first create a profile, proceed with your application, and print 2 copies of the drop-box confirmation letter to submit to one of the three visa centers if you meet all of the following qualifications.
INTERVIEW WAIVER PROGRAM "DROP-BOX" ELIGIBILITY QUESTIONS:
Before you answer “YES” to the below statements, please ensure that your situation meets the criteria. The statements below help consular officers to determine your eligibility to apply for an interview waiver (drop-box) but can’t guarantee an issuance without appearing for an interview.
General (B, C1/D**, F, M, J, O, and Q):
- I am renewing my visa;
- My last visa was “multiple” entry (it should read as “M”);
- I am a citizen or resident of Bangladesh and currently present in Bangladesh;
- I am applying for the same visa class;
- I was interviewed on or after January 1, 2008;
- My most recent prior application in this category resulted in an issued visa;
- My previous visa has never been revoked, lost, or stolen;
- My name, date of birth, nationality, and place of birth are the same on both applications (current and previous);
- On my previous visit to the United States, I complied with all immigration laws and regulations;
- My visa is still valid; or expired less than one year ago;
- I am applying within 12 months after my previous visa expiration date.
For F, M, or J visa holders and their derivatives:
- Must meet all other general criteria as listed above;
- I am a regular student and did not drop out of status for 5 months or more (principal F and M);
- I am continuing my participation in the same program at a different institution (F, M, and their derivatives);
- I am attending the same institution in a different program (F, M, and their derivatives);
- My SEVIS number has not changed from the previously issued visa (J and their derivatives).
Interview Waiver Based on Age:
- Must meet all other general criteria as listed above;
- My age was over 14 when my last visa was issued;
- My age was below 14 when the last visa was issued. I am applying for visa renewal now and I am still under 14 years of age.
If your answer is “YES” to the above questions, you may be eligible to apply for the interview waiver. Please drop off your passport along with the listed documents as outlined below at your pre-selected visa center. You do not need to schedule an appointment to come to the U.S. Embassy unless a Consular Officer asks you to do so.
- Drop box confirmation letter.
- Current passport that has a validity of at least six months beyond your intended stay in the U.S. (all categories)
- Passport containing most recently issued U.S. visa
- The DS-160 nonimmigrant visa application confirmation sheet (all categories)
- Original MRV fee receipt for the visa processing (all categories)
- One photograph on a white background, 2 x 2 inches (all categories)
- Copy of I-20 (F1/F2, M1/M2)
- Original DS-2019 (J1/J2)
- Copy of SEVIS I-901 fee payment receipt (principal F, M, J)
- Copy of your CDC (Continuous Discharge Certificate) book/employment contract (for C1/D).
- Copy of Valid visa of the same visa class of either of the parents in which the child is applying (applicable for child under 14 years of age).
**If vessel crew members only possess a C1/D visa and have not received a B1/B2 visa in the past and if they would like to apply for both C1/D and B1/B2 visas together, they must schedule a regular in-person interview instead of renewing their visa through the interview waiver program.
Please note that eligibility for interview waiver does not guarantee a visa issuance nor does it guarantee that the interview will be waived. Although your interview may be waived, you may still be required to appear for finger scanning. Any necessary notification will be made via the email address listed in your DS-160 online application.
How To Apply
For Nonimmigrant Visa applicants:
Determine your visa type by reading Common Nonimmigrant Visas. Each visa type explains the qualifications and application items. Choose the visa type that applies to your situation.
Be sure to also review the Visa Waiver Program. If your country participates in the Visa Waiver Program, you do not need to apply for a visa if you are traveling for business or pleasure and will only be staying in the Unites States for 90 days or less.
The next step is to complete the DS-160 Form. Be sure to read the Guidelines for Completing the DS-160 Form carefully. All information must be correct and accurate. Once the form is submitted, you cannot make any changes. If you need assistance, please consult an immigration lawyer or translator. The call center cannot help you complete your DS-160. You will need your DS-160 number to book your appointment.
Once you have determined the correct visa type and completed the DS-160, you must pay the visa fee. The visa fee page lists the visa types and correlating visa fee in U.S. dollars and local currency.
To pay your visa fee, read the Bank and Payment Options page. This page explains how to make your visa fee payment. You will create a profile and must keep your receipt number to book your visa appointment.
Now you will need to log in to your profile with the same credentials you used to pay your visa fee. Once you are in the system, you will see your dashboard.
Click on Schedule Appointment on the left-hand side menu.
This will start the process for scheduling your appointment. You will need:
- Your passport number.
- The receipt number from your Visa Fee receipt. Click here if you need help finding this number.
- The ten (10) digit barcode number from your DS-160 confirmation page.
As you go through the process you will be able to select your visa type, enter personal data, add dependents, select your document delivery location, confirm visa payment, and schedule your appointment.
If your visa application is approved, your passport and visa can be collected from the pickup location you selected when you scheduled for interview appointment.