Track and Retrieve My Passport
Passport/Visa Collection Locations
On this page:
- Collecting Your Passport (Visa) at Post Office
- Supporting Documents
- Change Delivery Options
- Passport Tracking Options
- Passport Tracking Status
- Families and Groups
Once your visa is approved, Japan Post will either deliver your passport(visa) to the location you specified when you scheduled your appointment.
Japan Post provides facilities where your passport is held for pick-up in case your passport cannot be delivered to your chosen delivery address. Japan Post will leave an undeliverable notice at the applicant's address in case it is not able to deliver the passport. Please follow the instructions to reschedule delivery in the future. You will see a list of Japan Post passport/visa collection locations when you schedule your interview and can choose the most convenient location from that list.
Collecting Your Passport (Visa) at Post Office
If you chose to collect your passport (visa) at the courier office you will need to visit a Japan Post office during normal business hours. You must register Kyoku Dome with Post office address and name as document delivery address. Otherwise the documents will be considered to be sent to the Post office who will check the documents inside of the Letter-Pack. To find the Japan Post office nearest to you, click here.
To collect your passport you must present your original (not a photocopy) government-issued photo ID. We recommend you also bring a printed copy of your appointment letter and any evidence of your address.
If someone collects your passport on your behalf, you must prepare a signed letter of proxy and a copy of your passport. Your designee must present these papers and bring his or her own original (not a photocopy) government-issued photo ID. We also recommend that your designee present any evidence of your address.
A signed letter of proxy must be prepared for each family member and must be signed exactly as it appears in the passport.
Change Delivery Options
Please confirm a document delivery address on a printed copy of your appointment letter.
You may change your preferred document delivery address or document pick-up location online or through the call center until 11:59 p.m. on the day of your interview at the Embassy or Consulate. If you wish to modify your document delivery address, you can do so by logging into your profile. There is no cost to change your delivery preferences.
It may cause delay in delivery if the profile details do not match with your passport. Some reasons of delay:
A full name in profile does not match the current passport exactly the same
- First/Middle/Last name does not appear exactly the same in the passport.
- A full name appears in Japanese, Chinese or other language other than English in the passport.
- E mail address is registered instead of a full name.
A passport number does not match the current passport exactly the same
- Please contact us immediately to update a name or passport number
A mailing address is unregistered / uncompleted or overseas mailing address
- In case of home delivery, apartment /room number / a name of receipt on behave of the applicant in case of delivered to the third party / accommodation name such as a hotel name are not registered.
- In case of office delivery, company name / building name / floor number / a name of receipt on behave of the applicant in case of delivered to the third party / University name / department name / floor number are not registered.
- For home delivery: Enter apartment /room number, name of the recipient. If you want to deliver the envelope to the third party, the name of the hotel or school including the division should be written on the envelope.
- For office delivery: Enter a company name/building name/floor number.
- APO/FPO/DPO address is registered other than a domestic mailing address. It is only able to dispatch with domestic Japanese mailing address.
- E mail address is registered as a mailing address.
For non-Japanese applicants, English name in the passport cannot be confirmed at the time delivery
- If the English name of the passport is not displayed on the nameplate of the address, Japan Post usually does not deliver the package.
Passport Tracking Options
For your convenience, you have several options to choose from to track the location of your passport. To find meaning of tracking status, click Passport Tracking Status.
- Instant: Enter your passport number below to check on the status.
Note: The Embassy or the Consulate cannot help you regarding the status of your passport delivery after your passport has left the Embassy. Please do not contact the Embassy or Consulate directly regarding the status of your passport delivery.
- Email: Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and in the subject and/or body enter a valid passport number exactly as it was entered at the time the appointment was scheduled. Do not add any additional text. You will receive an automatic response with the status.
- Online: You can track your passport online here.
- Chat, Skype and Telephone: You can track your passport with the assistance of our call center via chat, Skype, or telephone. The call center's contact information and a full description of our call center services, including hours of operation, can be found here.
Passport Tracking Status
If your status shows the following message, it means;
Your passport is still with the US Embassy or Consulate
It means your passport is at the Embassy or Consulate.
Passport has been received from the consular section, and is currently being processed for delivery
It means your passport has left the Embassy or Consulate and is being prepared for shipping at the Delivery Service Center.
Out for Delivery
Your passport is on the way to be delivered to the registered mailing address by Japan Post. You may track the delivery status using the Letter Pack number on Japan Post’s website.
Your passport has been picked up
It means Japan Post has delivered. Your passport to the registered address or you can go to the Post office you have chosen to pick up your passport; or a notification has been dropped by a mailman in your mailbox for further arrangements. You may track the delivery status using the letter pack number on Japan Post website.
There is no status update available for the passport
Passport tracking information is currently not available. If you have applied for a visa at Sapporo, Fukuoka, or Naha, or by mail to Osaka, please try again later.
Your passport has been returned to post
Your passport has been returned to the Embassy or Consulate due to an incorrect name and/or address or because you failed to pick up the package at a post office in time. Please contact the Call Center for redelivery of your passport.
Families and Groups
For security reasons, all passports are mailed individually. If you applied for visas as a family or group, please be aware that your passports may arrive on different days.
If delivery of your passport and documents is attempted during the day while you are not home, they will be brought back to the post office and a "Non-delivery Notice" will be left. They will be kept at the post office for seven days, and you must arrange redelivery using the information on the "Non-delivery Notice".
Redelivery service can be found here.
You may track the location of your passports with the Track&Trace Service which can be found here.