On this page:
Starting June 2, 2014, the U.S.Embassy or Consulate will not store prohibited items for visa applicants. There is no facility at the Embassy or Consulate to store such items, therefore you must make arrangements to store these items elsewhere before you enter. If you arrive with any prohibited items, you will be turned away and asked to make a new appointment.
You are allowed to bring the following items in the U.S. Embassy or Consulate:
- One cellphone (which must be checked at the security gate)
- One small bag that can be carried by hand (no larger than 10” x 10”)
- Clastic folders containing visa application-related papers
Umbrella (which must be stored in the umbrella rack outside the security gate)
You are not allowed to enter the U.S. Embassy or Consulate while carrying any of the following items:
- Battery-operated or electronic devices such as laptops, iPads, thumb drives, digital diaries, smart watches, pagers, cameras, audio/video cassettes, compact discs, MP3s, floppy disks, or portable music players
- Any luggage
- Bags such as travel bags, backpacks, briefcases, suitcases, leather, cloth bags, and zip folders
- Large shoulder bags/purses
- Food items
- Cigarettes, cigars, match boxes, lighters
- Sharp objects such as scissors, pen knives or nail files
- Weapons or explosive materials of any kind
This list is not exhaustive. Other items may be prohibited at the discretion of security staff.
Due to security considerations, there is no information window for walk-in visitors at the Embassy or Consulate. Only visa applicants with scheduled interviews will be admitted. We are introducing these measures to reduce the amount of time applicants wait in line outside the Embassy.
For procedures on the day of your interview, please see the video: http://www.youtube.com//watch?v=bImDRrBDxnU.