This webpage lists nonimmigrant visa application fees and other visa related fees collected by Department of State. Please note that ONLY nonimmigrant visa application processing fees (the “MRV” fee) are collected by this Service. All other fees are paid directly to the National Visa Center, to the U.S. Embassy/Consulate, or to the Department of Homeland Security. Please see http://malaysia.usembassy.gov/niv.html for more information.
All fees listed below are payable in local currency at Standard Chartered Bank or online if you have an account at Standard Chartered. The fees are currently, per person, per visa application: RM450 for most visa classes, including B-1/B-2 and F, M or J Visas, RM480 for H, L, O, P, Q and R Visas.
The MRV application fee is not refundable or transferrable to another person. You must schedule an interview within a year from the date you obtained your Standard Chartered Bank fee receipt. If you do not schedule an interview within a year, you will not be able to use that Standard Chartered Bank fee receipt – it will no longer be valid. The Standard Chartered Bank fee receipt is deemed utilized once the interview takes place, and cannot be used to make a subsequent appointment.
Details of the nonimmigrant visa application processing fee (MRV fee)
- Non-petition-based nonimmigrant visa (except E): $140.00
Includes (but not limited to), the following visa categories:
|B||Visitor Visa: Business, Tourism, Medical treatment|
|C-1||Transiting the U.S.|
|D||Crewmembers - Airline, Ship|
|I||Media and Journalists|
|T||Victim of Trafficking in Persons|
|U||Victim of Criminal Activity|
- Petition based visa categories: $150.00
Includes these visa categories:
|H||Temporary Workers/Employment or Trainees|
|O||Persons with Extraordinary Ability|
|P||Athletes. Artists & Entertainers|
|Q||International Cultural Exchange|
- E - Treaty Trader/Investor, Australian Professional Specialty category visa: $390.00
- K – Fiance(e) or Spouse of U.S. citizen category visa: $350.00
- L visa fraud prevention and detection fee - for visa applicant included in L blanket petition (principal applicant only): $500.00
When the nonimmigrant visa application processing fee is not required:
- Applicants for A, G, C-2, C-3, NATO, and diplomatic visas (defined in 22 CFR 41.26): No Fee
- Applicants for J visas participating in official U.S. Government-sponsored educational and cultural exchanges: No Fee
- Replacement of machine-readable visa when the original visa was not properly affixed or needs to be reissued through no fault of the applicant: No Fee
- Applicants exempted by international agreement as determined by Visa Services, including members and staff of an observer mission to United Nations Headquarters recognized by the UN General Assembly, and their immediate families: No Fee
- Applicants travelling to provide charitable services as determined by Visa Services: No Fee
- U.S. Government employees travelling on official business: No Fee
- A parent, sibling, spouse or child of a U.S. Government employee killed in the line of duty who is traveling to attend the employee’s funeral and/or burial; or a parent, sibling, spouse, son or daughter of a U.S. Government employee critically injured in the line of duty for visitation during emergency treatment and convalescence: No Fee
Nonimmigrant Visa Issuance Fees
Additionally, applicants from certain countries may be required to pay a visa issuance fee after their application is approved. These fees are based on “reciprocity” (what another country charges a U.S. citizen for a similar-type of visa). The United States strives to eliminate visa issuance fees whenever possible; however, when a foreign government imposes such fees on U.S. citizens for certain types of visas, the United States will impose a “reciprocal” fee to a national of that country for similar-types of visas. Please see the Department of State website at http://travel.state.gov/visa/fees/fees_3272.html to see what, if any, issuance fee applies to your nationality.
The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) is an Internet-based system that tracks F, M and J visa participants (and their family members) from the time they receive their initial documentation (either an I-20 or a DS-2019) until they graduate/leave school or conclude/leave program.
F, M and J visa principal applicants: Check with your U.S. school to make sure your information has been entered into SEVIS. You will need to pay a separate SEVIS fee in addition to the MRV application fee. For nonimmigrant students with Form I-20, the fee is USD $200.00; for most exchange visitors with DS-2019, the fee is USD $180.00. Payment cannot be made at Standard Chartered Bank or the Embassy. Proof of payment is required before your student or exchange visitor visa will be issued. Instructions on paying the SEVIS fee can be found at www.fmjfee.com.
SEVIS Fee Exception:
Applicants participating in a U.S. Government-sponsored program (program codes start with G-1, G-2, G-3, G-7) are not required to pay the SEVIS fee.
Fraud Prevention and Detection Fees (Blanket L1)
The principal applicant (only) of a blanket L petition must pay a Fraud Prevention and Detection fee, which is either USD $500.00, USD $2,000.00, or USD $2,250.00 depending on the size of the company.
Note: The U.S. petitioner pays this Fraud Prevention and Detection Fee for individual L, H-1B and H-2B petitions when they file the petition with USCIS.