Green Card Abandonment (Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident status)

On this page:


As a permanent resident of the United States holding a Green Card (permanent resident card) you have to maintain your status in order to continue to be admitted to the United States as a permanent resident. You can find guidance on USCIS’s website regarding how to maintain your permanent resident status.

If you are unable to maintain your status, because you reside permanently outside the United States or for other reasons chose to remain outside the country for long periods of time, you may choose to voluntarily abandon your Green Card. This would prevent complications at the port of entry when applying for entry to the United States as a non-immigrant with a visa or by using the ESTA program.

How to abandon your Green Card

Please print out and complete the I-407 form. Next, collect the following documents:

  • Your Green Card (Lawful Permanent Resident Card)
  • Permit to Re-Enter (Form I-327, only if applicable)

Parents submitting this form on behalf of children under the age of 18 should follow the special instructions outlined on the USCIS website. Before an I-407 can be accepted by USCIS on behalf of any child under the age of 18, both parents MUST sign and date Items 13.a, 13.b AND also 14.a; 14.b, and 14.c (refer to page 2 of the instructions for Items 13 and 14).

Send the I-407 form, your Green Card and supporting documentation to USCIS at the following address:

District Director
United States Embassy
Via Sallustiana 49
00187 Roma, Italy

DO NOT SUBMIT: United States Social Security cards to this office. Contact the U.S. Embassy Federal Benefits Unit for information on the return of social security cards.

Special Notes
Once USCIS Field Office Rome receives your completed Form I-407 and applicable supporting documentation, a copy of the I-407 form will be returned to you in the self-addressed envelope you provided. This is your record to show that you have formally abandoned your permanent resident status. We recommend that you take a copy of the processed I-407 form with you to the port of entry in the United States whenever you travel after abandoning your status. Please remember to apply online for the Electronic System for Travel Authorization if you are eligible to travel visa-free to the United States, or apply for a non-immigrant visa at the nearest United States Embassy or Consulate

After returning your Green Card

Signing the I-407 and abandoning your Green Card will formally communicate to the immigration authorities that it is no longer your intent to return to the United States as a permanent resident. When you give up your status and your card, you also give up the rights and benefits that go with that status. If in the future you want to return to the United States as a permanent resident, you will need to apply for a new Green Card.

The consular section will sometimes receive inquiries as to whether a former permanent resident will have problems entering the U.S. after the Green Card has been returned. We cannot provide any assurances on this matter. It is always the immigration officer at the port of entry who determines whether a traveler to the U.S. may enter the country (either with a visa or under the Visa Waiver Program with an approved ESTA).

The abandonment of lawful permanent resident status is irrevocable. An individual who relinquishes lawful permanent resident status must qualify again for such status. Therefore, one should give careful thought before abandoning lawful permanent resident status.

For queries regarding abandonment of permanent residence status, please contact the USCIS Field Office in Rome.

Please check the USCIS website at for additional information on permanent resident status.