Visas for Minors Under the Age of 18

On this page:

Questions and Answers

Q: Do children need a visa?
A: All travelers, including children, need a visa to travel to the United States or must qualify to travel without a visa through a special program, such as the Visa Waiver Program.

Q: Do children pay the same application fee as adults?
A: Yes, they do.

Q: Do children need to schedule an interview appointment?
A: Every applicant requires an appointment.

Q: Do all children have to come in person for their appointment?
A: Yes.

Q: Do the child’s parents also need to attend the interview?
A: Yes, children with both parents must attend, must carry the minor passport and the parent's passports (current and previous) if this apply, and the child's birth certificate. If one parent cannot attend, the accompanying parent should bring a sole custody order, a death certificate for the absent parent, or a notarized statement of consent from the absent parent for the child to apply for a U.S. visa.