Visa Renewal Information


The U.S. visa application process is the same whether you are applying for the first time or renewing your visa. It is important to know that your visa may still be valid if the passport it is in expires. You can travel to the United States with your old passport containing a valid visa and your new, valid passport.


You may be eligible for a visa renewal appointment if you meet the following criteria:

  • You wish to renew a U.S. visa of the same class as a U.S. visa that is currently valid or which expired less than 12 months prior to the date of your interview.
    For example, you had an H-1 work visa and wish to apply for another H-1 work visa.
  • You are a citizen of Burkina Faso and hold an Burkinabe passport.

You are not eligible for a visa renewal appointment if you meet any of the following criteria:

  • You have never had a U.S. visa.
  • You have a U.S. visa that expired more than 12 months ago.
  • Your last valid visa was canceled or revoked.
  • You wish to apply for a visa in a different visa class than your previous visa.
    For example, you had an F-1 student visa, but now you wish to apply for an H-1 work visa.
  • You do not hold an Burkinabe passport.
  • You are over 18 years old and applying for an H-4 or L-2 for the first time. (If you have recently married a person holding an H-1B or L-1 visa but have never had a visa interview for an H-4 visa or L-2 visa, you cannot schedule a visa renewal appointment.
  • You are applying for more than one visa at the same time.
    For example, your are applying for both F and B1/B2 visas.
  • You are applying for a P-3 visa (entertainment/performance visa).
  • You are applying for an H-2B visa (unskilled worker visa).
  • You lost your previous passport that had a valid or expired U.S. visa.
Supporting Documentation

Bring the following documents to the Embassy on the day of your appointment:

  • A current, valid passport
  • Any passports containing previously-issued U.S. visas
  • As applicable, Form I-797 (H and L work visas), Form I-20 (F and M student visas), Form DS-2019 (J exchange visitor visa)