Renew My Visa

On this page:


The U.S. visa application process is the same whether you are applying for the first time or renewing your visa. It is important to know that your visa may still be valid if the passport it is in expires. You can travel to the United States with your old passport containing a valid visa and your new, valid passport.

Applicants meeting the following criteria may be eligible for renewal by mail:

  • The applicant and everyone applying with him/her is a citizen or resident of Bahrain.
  • The applicant is currently present in Bahrain.
  • The applicant and everyone applying with him/her, have a previous visa in the same category (except children under 14).

For Applicants under age 14:

  • ALL applicants applying under 14 years of age.
  • For applicants under 14, either parent have a valid B1/B2 visa.

For renewing B1/B2 applicants:

  • The applicant IS applying to renew a B1/B2 visa that has not been expired for more than 48 months.

  • The applicant and everyone applying with him/her have a prior 5-year (or full-validity for your nationality), B1/B2 US visa.
  • The applicant most recent visa issued after June 27, 2007.

  • The applicant and everyone applying with him/her do not have any US visa refusals after the expiration of an issued B1/B2 visa.
  • The applicant visa, and the visa of everyone applying with him/her, still valid or has expired within the past 48 months.

Student/Exchange Visitors:

  • The applicant is re-applying to renew a F/M (student or exchange) visa that has not been expired for more than 48 months.
  • IF F/M:The applicant’s SEVIS status is “active” or “initial”. Applicants should contact their Designated School Official (DSO) at their institution if they are unsure.
  •  The applicant is EITHER continuing at the same institution listed on the prior visa OR studying the same major as during the initial interview.
  • IF J: The applicant has the same SEVIS number as on the initial visa.

D or C1/D visa :

  • The applicants applying to renew D or C1/D visa that has not been expired for more than 48 months.
  • The previous visa is still in your possession.
  • The applicant has never been arrested or convicted of a crime (in any country), deported from the United States, or denied entry to the United States.
  • All sections of the DS-160 online application have been answered completely and accurately.
  • Renewal process can take up to 2 weeks. Can you be without your passport for this period of time.

How to Apply

Step 1

Complete the Non-immigrant Visa Electronic Application (DS-160) form.

Step 2

Log-in to our online applicant system and create a profile to pay the visa application (MRV) fee. Once logged in, choose “Schedule appointment”. As you go through the process you will answer the interview waiver questions which will evaluate your eligibility to apply for a visa without an interview.

Step 3

After you answer the questions, you will be prompted to pay the visa fee. If you are eligible to apply for a visa without an interview, the website will direct you as to your eligibility to apply for a visa or renew your prior visa without an interview using our drop box.

Step 4

Go to one of the Aramex locations specified here. Take your Application Drop-Off Letter and all documents required with a mailing envelope to enclose your documents. A receipt with the tracking number will be given to you. There is no charge for this transaction.

Step 5

Aramex will deliver your documents to the U.S. Consulate.

Step 6

At the end of the visa adjudication process, the U.S. Consulate will return your documents and your passport to you at the chosen document delivery address in your profile. When the documents are dispatched you will receive an email with the tracking number. You can change the delivery address by accessing your profile. If issued, your passport will contain your visa.

Important Note: Please note that after review by the Consulate, drop box applications may require an interview or further information. We will contact you via e-mail if this is the case for your application.

Apply for a U.S. nonimmigrant visa