Diplomatic and Government Officials

Additional information


The Embassy strongly recommends that officials traveling for official duties or government activities submit their complete application at least two weeks before the planned date of their trip in order to allow the Embassy to have the necessary time required for processing.

Applicants must complete the Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160 and should bring the following required document to the Consular Section between 10:30 am and 11:30, Monday through Thursday. No appointment is needed. Please bring all of the following:

  • A Diplomatic note. The diplomatic note is written confirmation by the sending government or organization; this must contain:
    • The applicants’ full name,
    • The applicant’s date of birth,
    • The applicant’s place of assignment or visit within the United States,
    • The purpose of travel,
    • A brief description of the applicant’s duties,
    • The planned travel date,
    • The anticipated length of stay or tour of duty in the United States,
    • And, if applicable, the names relationships, and dates of birth of any dependents or other members of the household who will be accompanying or joining the principal applicant. Copies of civil documents (e.g. birth or marriage certificates) showing the relationship of the dependents to the principal applicant must be included.
    • Please note: All individuals going on official travel lasting 90 days or more are requested to transmit their requests through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
  • Official Travel Orders.
  • A valid passport.
  • Online DS-160 application confirmation page.
  • One (1) photograph, FORMAT 5cm X 5cm. See the Photo Requirements.

Note: Applicants for diplomatic and official visas are not subject to U.S. fingerprint requirements and will not be charged the non-refundable, visa application fee. Although personal appearances are generally not needed for these types of visas, the Embassy reserves the right to fingerprint and interview any applicant.

As a courtesy, the Embassy permits holders of diplomatic or official passports who are traveling for personal reasons (tourism, vacation, family visits, etc.) to apply through this channel. However, they may be required to pay fees, provide fingerprints, and/or appear for an interview. All requests for visas for personal travel must be accompanied by a diplomatic note containing the information detailed above.

You can visit the Department of State website for additional information about qualifying for Diplomatic and Official visas and for more specific information about A visas and G visas.

Types of Diplomatic and Official Visas

Type-A visas are generally issued upon presentation of a diplomatic note from the appropriate host country office or foreign mission. If an A-1 or A-2 visa applicant is coming to the United States for an assignment, which is to last less than 90 days, the visa is annotated "TDY." Normally, the personal interview requirement for bona fide A-1 and A-2 visa applicants who are citizens of, or accredited to, the host country is waived. However, there may be circumstances within which the consular officer will ask for an interview.

This list gives additional information about specific visa types within this class:

A-3 Visa
Issued to the attendants and personal employees of persons in A-1 or A-2 status.

C-2 Visa

Issued for transit to and from the United Nations Headquarters District, for representatives of the press, representatives of NGOs in consultative status with the UN, and other persons invited by the UN on official business.

G-1 Visa
Issued to members of a permanent mission of a recognized government, to an international organization, regardless of rank, and to members of their immediate families. G-1 visas are also issued to the mission's secretaries, chauffeurs and custodial employees, except domestic employees, who are issued G-5 visas.

G-2 Visa
Issued to representatives of a recognized government and to members of their immediate families traveling to the United States temporarily to attend meetings of a designated international organization. G-2 officials may represent their governments at the United Nations (UN) General Assembly or as TDY officers to that country's mission to the international organization. G-2 visas may be issued to military officers who are assisting the UN Secretariat with peacekeeping matters. Family members may also be issued G-2 visas.

G-3 Visa
Issued to representatives of non-recognized or non-member governments, regardless of rank, and to members of their immediate families. G-3 visas should also be issued to representatives of such governments so as to participate in temporary meetings of designated international organizations (e.g., a meeting of the UN General Assembly and Security Council).

G-4 Visa
Issued to personnel of any rank who are proceeding to the United States to take up an appointment at a designated international organization (including the United Nations). Members of their immediate families may also be issued G-4 visas, except their domestic employees, who are issued G-5 visas. Officers and employees of designated international organizations, who are not assigned in the United States, may be accorded G-4 classification if they intend to transit the United States. The number of entries should be limited to the official request. G-4 visas may also be issued to personnel of any rank on the payroll of a designated international organization proceeding to the United States on behalf of that organization.

G-5 Visa
Issued to the attendants and personal employees of persons in G-1 through G-4 status.

Note: If a Legal Permanent Resident (LPR) were to be employed by a foreign mission in the United States, they would be eligible for A or G visa status ONLY IF they surrender their permanent residence card.