Diplomatic and Government Officials

On this page:


A and G visas may be issued to diplomats, other government officials, international organization employees and their family members for official travel to the United States. Generally, the type of visa required by a diplomat or other government official depends upon their purpose of travel to the United States. There are very specific requirements which must be met by applicants in order to qualify for A, G or NATO visas under U.S. immigration law.

Applications for A-1, A-2, visas for German nationals must be submitted to the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Berlin (DiplomaticVisaBerlin@state.gov) through the German Government Courier Service. Applications from others should be submitted by courier to the U.S. Embassy Consular Section. A diplomatic note must accompany all A-1, A-2, and G1 through G-4 visa applications.

Applications for G-1 through G-4 visas may be submitted directly to the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Berlin. All G-1 through G-4 visa applications must be accompanied by a diplomatic note or, for international organizations, an official letter requesting the issuance of a G visa. Do not pay an MRV visa application fee through this site, as it will not be refunded.

More Information

For more information, please visit this web page or consult with your government or agency's administrative office responsible for visa issues.

You can visit the Department of State website for additional information about qualifying for Diplomatic and Official visas and for more specific information about A visas and G visas