Visa Types

On this page:


Generally, a citizen of a foreign country who wishes to enter the United States must first obtain a visa, either a nonimmigrant visa for temporary stay or an immigrant visa for permanent residence. Citizens of qualified countries may be able to visit the U.S. without a visa under the Visa Waiver Program. All travelers coming to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program must obtain authorization through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) system prior to initiating travel to the United States.

If you do not qualify for the Visa Waiver Program or are traveling to study, work, participate in an exchange program, or for any other purpose that does not fall under a B visa purpose of travel, you will need a nonimmigrant visa.

A visa does not guarantee entry to the United States. A visa simply indicates that a U.S. consular officer has determined that you are eligible to apply for entry to the United States for a specific purpose.

Nonimmigrant Visas

A nonimmigrant visa is used by tourists, business people, students, or specialty workers who wish to stay for a particular period of time in the United States to accomplish specific purposes. According to U.S. visa laws and regulations, most nonimmigrant visa applicants must demonstrate to the consular officer that they have strong ties to their country of residence and must show that they intend to depart the United States after their temporary stay.

Lost or Stolen Passports

If your passport containing a U.S. visa has been lost or stolen in Guatemala, you must report the loss or theft to the Public Ministry or the Guatemala National Police as soon as possible. The police or Public Ministry will issue a report documenting the loss or theft. A copy of this report, including your full name and date of birth, must be sent to  or faxed to (502)-2326-4674 as soon as possible. If the loss or theft took place abroad, you will also need to submit in this same email a copy of the report you filed in that country.

As soon as the Consular Section receives this report, the visa will be reported as lost/stolen in U.S. Government databases, which will alert officials at all ports of entry into the United States. Once the visa has been reported lost/stolen, neither you nor anyone else will be able to use it again in the event that your passport is subsequently found. If you wish to obtain another visa, you will need to reapply and bring a copy of the previously submitted police report to your interview appointment.

  • 1. Obtain a police report from local authorities to take to the interview.
  • 2. Obtain a new passport.
  • 3. Click here to schedule an appointment to apply for a new visa. If you have emergency travel, please review the Apply for an Emergency Appointment section.
  • 4. Appear for your visa appointment.