Visas for Children

On this page:

Questions and Answers

Q: Do children need a visa?

A: All travelers, including children, need a visa to travel to the United States or must qualify to travel without a visa through a special program, such as the Visa Waiver Program.

Q: Do children pay the same application fee as adults?

A: Yes, they do.

Q: Do children need to schedule an interview appointment?

A: Every applicant requires an appointment.

Q: Do all children have to come in person for their appointment?

A: No. Only children under age 14 applying for F-1, M-1 and J-1 visas are required to appear in person for an interview. For other visa categories, at least one parent must come to the U.S. Consulate General to be interviewed. In addition, although children under age 14 do not need to appear in person at the Consulate General, they must be physically present in Hong Kong or Macau in order to apply for a visa here.

Q: What supporting documentation does a parent need to apply for their child’s visa?

A: Parents applying for a visa for a child under the age of 14 should bring with them the child’s birth certificate to prove the parent-child relationship.