Government Visa Program and International Organization


A-1, A-2, and G-1 through G-4 visas may be issued for official travel to the United States. This type of visa required by a diplomat, central government and International Organization employee recognized by U.S. government. There are very specific requirements which must be met by applicants in order to qualify for A, G or NATO visas under U.S. immigration law.

Type-A visas are generally issued upon presentation of a diplomatic note from the appropriate host country office or foreign mission. If an A-1 or A-2 visa applicant is traveling to the U.S. for less than 90 days, the visa is annotated "TDY." Normally, the personal interview requirement for bona fide A-1 and A-2 visa applicants who are citizens of, or accredited to, the host country is waived. However, there may be circumstances within which the consular officer will ask for an interview.

This list gives additional information about specific visa types within this class:

A-3 Visa

Issued to the attendants and personal employees of persons in A-1 or A-2 status.

G-1 Visa

Issued to members of a permanent mission of a recognized government, to an international organization, regardless of rank, and to members of their immediate families. G-1 visas are also issued to the mission's secretaries, chauffeurs and custodial employees, except domestic employees, who are issued G-5 visas.

G-2 Visa

Issued to representatives of a recognized government and to members of their immediate families traveling to the U.S. temporarily to attend meetings of a designated international organization. G-2 officials may represent their governments at the United Nations (UN) General Assembly or as TDY officers to that country's mission to the international organization. G-2 visas may be issued to military officers who are assisting the UN Secretariat with peacekeeping matters. Their family members may also be issued G-2 visas.

G-3 Visa

Issued to representatives of non-recognized or non-member governments, regardless of rank, and to members of their immediate families. G-3 visas should also be issued to representatives of such governments to participate in temporary meetings of designated international organizations (e.g., a meeting of the UN General Assembly and Security Council).

G-4 Visa

Issued to personnel of any rank who are proceeding to the U.S. to take up an appointment at a designated international organization (including the United Nations). Members of their immediate families may also be issued G-4 visas, except their domestic employees, who are issued G-5 visas. Officers and employees of designated international organizations, who are not assigned in the U.S., may be accorded G-4 classification if they intend to transit the U.S. The number of entries should be limited to the official request. G-4 visas may also be issued to personnel of any rank on the payroll of a designated international organization proceeding to the U.S. on behalf of that organization.

G-5 Visa

Issued to the attendants and personal employees of persons in G-1 through G-4 status.

Note: If a Legal Permanent Resident (LPR) were to be employed by a foreign mission in the U.S., he or she would be eligible for A visa status if he or she would be willing to surrender his or her permanent residence card.

A and G visa applications should be sent directly to the U.S. Embassy in Jakarta with a diplomatic note from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. If you are qualified for a G-4 visa, you may submit your application together with supporting documents from your organization. Applications can be submitted any workday between 10:00 - 11:00 am.  There are no fees for official visas. Do not pay an MRV visa application fee through this site, as it will not be refunded.

You can visit the Embassy's website for additional information about qualifying for Government and International Organization’s visas and for more specific information about  A visas and G visas.