Renew my visa
Repeat travelers to the United States may, under some circumstances, renew their visas without appearing at the U.S. Embassy/Consulate for an interview. Additionally, some governments allow their citizens to travel with a valid visa in an expired passport, provided the traveler also has a valid passport. If your government allows travel with a valid visa and a combination of an expired and valid visa, then the U.S. government will allow you to travel to the United States with your old passport containing a valid visa and your new, valid passport. Starting September 1, eligible applicants must schedule an appointment date in order to drop off their passports and visa application materials at one of our eleven locations.
You may submit your visa application at a Visa Application Center (VAC) as Interview Waiver and proceed without a consular interview if you meet all of the following qualifications:
INTERVIEW WAIVER CHECKLIST
If you can answer “yes” to all of the following questions, you qualify for our Interview Waiver. You must schedule an appointment at a Visa Application Center. Please log on, create your profile, proceed with your application, and print one copy of the submission letter. Drop off your passport along with the listed documents mentioned on the submission letter at one of our service centers.
Eligibility criteria for all applicants, except children under 14 years of age and applicants 80 years of age or older:
- I have a previous U.S. visa in the same class as the visa for which I wish to apply.
- I received my visa after January 1, 2008.
- My prior visa is not annotated “Clearance Received” or “Department Authorization”.
- My most recent visa, in the same class for which I am applying, was issued on or after my 14th birthday.
- My most recent visa, in the same class for which I am applying, was not lost/stolen or cancelled.
- I have no refusals for a visa in any class after my most recent visa issuance.
- If I am applying for an H or L (individual) or R visa, my prior visa in the same class is still valid or expired within the last 48 months.
- If I am applying for any other class of visa, my prior visa in the same class is still valid or expired within the last 48 months.
- Note: Blanket L1 visa applicants do not qualify for the Interview Waiver, but Blanket L2 spouses are eligible.
- If I am applying for an F visa, am continuing as student at same school for which my previous visa was issued.
- If I am applying for a J visa, my current DS-2019 is issued by the same institution as the institution listed on my previous visa.
Eligibility criteria for children under 14 years of age:
- I am applying before my 14th birthday.
Note: Children under 14 must submit photocopies of both parents' passports' biographic information and valid U.S. visa page.
Eligibility criteria for applicants over 80 years of age:
- I am applying on or after 80th birthday.
- My most recent visa application was not refused.