Skip to main content
U.S. Flag

Official U.S. Department of State Visa Appointment Service

Know your visa type

Most Canadian citizens and many citizens from Visa Waiver Program countries can come to the U.S. without a visa if they meet certain requirements, which you can read about here.

Common nonimmigrant visas

There are various types of nonimmigrant visas for temporary visitors to travel to the U.S. if you are not a U.S. citizen or U.S. lawful permanent resident. The purpose of your intended travel and other facts will determine what type of visa is required under U.S. immigration law. It's important to have information about the type of nonimmigrant visa you will need for travel in order to understand the steps required to apply for the visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

Woman in an airport

Business/Tourist visa

Visa Type: B
Fee: $160 USD
Visitor visas are nonimmigrant visas for persons who want to enter the United States temporarily for business (visa category B-1), for tourism (visa category B-2), or for a combination of both purposes (B-1/B-2).
Man using a laptop

Work visa

Visa Type: H, L, O, P, Q
Fee: $190 USD
Temporary worker visas are for persons who want to enter the United States for employment lasting a fixed period of time, and are not considered permanent or indefinite. Each of these visas requires the prospective employer to first file a petition with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). An approved petition is required to apply for a work visa.
Several happy graduates

Student visa

Visa Type: F, M
Fee: $160 USD
You must have a student visa to study in the United States. Your course of study and the type of school you plan to attend determine whether you need an F visa or an M visa.
Diverse group of young adults

Exchange visitor visa

Visa Type: J
Fee: $160 USD
Exchange visitor (J) visas are nonimmigrant visas for individuals approved to participate in exchange visitor programs in the United States.
Dressed up ship crew

Transit/ship crew visas

Visa Type: C, D
Fee: $160 USD
Transit (C) visas are nonimmigrant visas for persons traveling in immediate and continuous transit through the United States en route to another country, with few exceptions. Crew member (D) visas are nonimmigrant visas for persons working on board commercial sea vessels or international airlines in the United States.
Hand touching tall grass

Religious worker visa

Visa Type: R
Fee: $190 USD
Temporary religious worker (R-1) visas are for persons who want to enter the United States to work temporarily in religious capacities.
Person pushing stroller

Domestic employee visa

Visa Type: B-1
Fee: $160 USD
Domestic employee visas are for persons who wish to accompany their employer to the United States to perform domestic duties in the United States for their employer.
Person holding microphones and recorder

Journalist and media

Visa Type: I
Fee: $160 USD
Media (I) visas are for representatives of the foreign media, including members of the press, radio, film, and print industries, traveling temporarily to the United States to work in their profession engaged in informational or educational media activities, essential to the foreign media function.
Closeup of visa document

A list of NIV types

Fee: $160 - $265 USD
Generally, a citizen of a foreign country who wishes to enter the United States must first obtain a visa, either a nonimmigrant visa for a temporary stay, or an immigrant visa for permanent residence.

Visa Waiver Program

The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) enables nationals of certain countries to travel to the United States for tourism or business (visitor visa purposes) for stays of 90 days or less without obtaining a visa. Not all countries participate in the VWP, and not all travelers from VWP countries are eligible to use the program. VWP travelers are required to apply for authorization though the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA), are screened at their port of entry into the United States, and are enrolled in the Department of Homeland Security’s Office of Biometric Identity Management.
Read more about the Visa Waiver Program

Renew my visa

Repeat travelers to the United States may, under some circumstances, renew their visas without appearing at the U.S. Embassy/Consulate for an interview. Additionally, some governments allow their citizens to travel with a valid visa in an expired passport, provided the traveler also has a valid passport. If your government allows travel with a valid visa and a combination of an expired and valid visa, then the U.S. government will allow you to travel to the United States with your old passport containing a valid visa and your new, valid passport.
Read more about renew my visa

Diplomatic and government officials

A-1, A-2, C-3, and G-1 through G-4 visas may be issued to diplomats and other government officials for official travel to the United States. Generally, the type of visa required by a diplomat or other government official depends upon their purpose of travel to the United States. There are very specific requirements which must be met by applicants in order to qualify for A, C-3, G or NATO visas under U.S. immigration law.
Learn more about visas for diplomatic and government officials