Fiancée/Fiancé: K-1/K-2 Visa


On this page:


The K-1 visa (also known as the Fiancé(e) Visa) can be filed by a U.S. citizen who wishes to bring his or her prospective spouse to the United States with the intention of getting married there. Minor children (unmarried and under age 21) of a K-1 applicant may derive immigration benefits from the same I-129F petition and be issued a K-2 visa.

How to Apply

Step 1: File the Visa Petition
The fiancé petition I-129F is the first of three steps necessary for a foreign citizen beneficiary to come to the United States for marriage and residence. The I-129F must first be filed with and approved by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) in the United States.

The petitioner must be a U.S. citizen, the petitioner and beneficiary must have met in person and both parties must be legally free to marry.

Once USCIS approves the petition, they will send the petitioner a notice of approval (Form I-797). USCIS will also forward the approved petition to the National Visa Center (NVC). NVC will then forward the petition to the U.S. Embassy closest to the beneficiary's residence overseas for K-1 visa processing. An approved I-129F is valid for four months from the date of approval.

Step 2: Gather the Required Documents and Prepare for the Visa Interview

Once the approved petition has been received at the immigrant visa unit from NVC, you will receive the Instruction Package by e-mail, with a list of the documents the intending immigrant must present at the immigrant visa interview.

K visa applicants are required to pay a non-refundable, non-transferable Machine Readable Visa (MRV) application fee in cash at any Citibank branch in South Korea. Before going to Citibank, you must print the applicable U.S. visa fee deposit slip. Take the printed fee collection slip with you to pay your fee. Citibank will issue you a receipt upon payment. Save your receipt. It cannot be replaced if it is lost.

If your bank supports electronic funds transfers (EFT), you may also pay your MRV application fee with an EFT directly from your bank account.  Please refer to the details on EFT.

It is up to the beneficiary to complete the application and gather the documents required to set up an appointment. You then need to submit an appointment request once you have obtained all the necessary documents as listed in the Instruction Package.

Step 3: The Immigrant Visa Interview

On the interview date, a consular officer will adjudicate the application based on the visa interview and documents submitted at the interview by the applicant. The issuance or denial of the immigrant visa is up to the discretion of the interviewing officer.

You must bring your current passport and all old passports. You must have completed your medical exam before your interview. Applications without all of these items will not be accepted.

Important Notice: Derivative children under the age of 14 are not required to attend the interview. Please bring the passport and all supporting documents to complete the visa processing.

Only applicants with appointments will be admitted into the U.S. Embassy. Due to the limited space in our interview waiting room, only beneficiaries may enter; the petitioner may accompany the applicant. Other accompanying parties, including friends, employees, or attorneys, must wait outside. Children under 18 years old may be accompanied by one parent or guardian to the interview. Beneficiaries are strongly advised not to finalize travel arrangements, dispose of their property, or give up their jobs until after they have been issued visas. Quitting a job, leaving school, selling property and/or closing bank accounts prior to visa issuance may be risky, as in certain cases visa issuance may be delayed for some time.

Important Notice: A K-1 visa will be delivered back to the applicant via Embassy-approved courier within several working days if the beneficiary is found to be qualified. A K-1 visa is valid for six months (limited to the validity of the medical examination) for a single entry into the United States. The parties must marry and report their marriage to USCIS within 90 days after entering the United States. Once married, the beneficiary may apply for permanent residence and remain in the United States while USCIS processes the application. Since processing time for each case differs depending on the circumstances of the case, we urge that firm wedding arrangements wait until after the beneficiary has the K-1 visa in hand.