Applications for Boarding Foils

On this page:

Lost/Stolen Green Card

A lawful permanent resident (LPR) of the United States who has stayed abroad for less than one year and wishes to re-enter the United States has to present a valid Green Card (Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card) in order to be permitted to board a flight to the United States. If your Green Card has been lost, stolen or damaged, you can apply for a Transportation Boarding Foil, which facilitates boarding by the airline to transport you back to the U.S.

How to apply for a transportation boarding foil

  1. Download and complete the Application for Travel Document (Form I-131A).
  2. Create an online USCIS account to pay the fee for the I-131A application.
  3. Forward the payment confirmation, a scan of the biographical page of your passport, and your Alien Registration Number to Upon receipt, the Embassy will schedule your appointment.

What should I bring to the appointment?

  • Your valid passport;
  • Original Form I-131A completed and signed;
  • Receipt of payment;
  • Police Report (if your Permanent Resident Card (I-551) was lost/stolen);
  • Proof of being outside the United States for less than one year since last departure, (flight tickets/electronic itinerary showing your last departure from the United States and your upcoming return;
  • One passport photo in color 5×5 cm, full face, white background.

Expired Permanent Resident Cards (Form 1-551)

Although regulations generally require a Legal Permanent Resident to travel to the United States with a valid Permanent Resident Card (Green Card), CBP policy permits a transportation carrier bound for the United States to board an LPR with an expired Green Card without penalty as long as the following applies:

  • You are an LPR and your Green Card was issued with a 10-year expiration date, or
  • You are an LPR with an expired Green Card with a two-year expiration date AND you also have a Form I-797, Notice of Action, for Form I-751 or Form I-829 to remove the conditions on your permanent resident status. The Notice of Action extends the validity of the Green Card for a specified length of time, generally one year.

For more information about international travel as a Permanent Resident, please see the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services website.