Diplomatic and Government Officials

On this page:


A-1, A-2 and G-1 through G-4 visas may be issued to diplomats and other government officials for official travel to the United States. Generally, the type of visa required by a diplomat or other government official depends upon their purpose of travel to the United States. There are very specific requirements which must be met by applicants in order to qualify for A, G or NATO visas under U.S. immigration law.

Applications for A-1, A-2, and G-1 through G-2 visas for Norwegian nationals must be submitted to the U.S. Embassy Consular Section through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Foreign national applications for A-1 and A-2, G1 through G4 visas please contact U.S. Embassy Consular Section directly. A diplomatic note must accompany all A-1, A-2 and G1 through G4 visa applications.

All G-1 through G-4 visa applications must be accompanied by a diplomatic note or, for international organizations, an official letter requesting the issuance of a G visa. Do not pay an MRV application fees through this site, as it will not be refunded. A, G and NATO visa applicants are exempt from paying non-immigrant visa fees and should not book appointments through this website or through the call center. For more information regarding A, G and NATO visas, please see the U.S. Embassy website.  

More Information

For more information, please visit this web page or consult with your government or agency's administrative office responsible for visa issues.

You can visit the Department of State website for additional information about qualifying for Diplomatic and Official visas and for more specific information about A visas and G visas.