Applications for Boarding Foils

On this page:

Lost/Stolen Green Card

A lawful permanent resident (LPR) of the United States is required to present a valid Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card, if seeking readmission to the U.S. after a temporary absence of less than one year. If you have lost or had your Green Card stolen, a Boarding Foil facilitates boarding by the airline to transport you back to the U.S. Processing time for this service is approximately 2-5 days.

How to apply for a transportation boarding foil

You must make an appointment to visit the Immigrant Visa Unit and apply in person. In order to be processed for a Boarding Foil by the U.S. Embassy in Moscow, you will need to complete the following steps prior to your appointment date:

  1. Download and complete the Application for Travel Document (Carrier Documentation) – Form I-131A. You will need to know your Alien Registration Number (A Number) in order to complete the form;
  2. Create an online USCIS account to pay the fee for the I-131A application. (Note: This is the only acceptable means of payment for the I-131A application). Kindly note that this fee is non-refundable.
  3. Please forward the payment confirmation, a scan of the biographical page of your passport, and your Alien Registration Number to: with “Lost Green Card” in the subject line. Upon receipt, the Embassy confirm your payment and then schedule your appointment. Please note that we can only process applications for U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents who have been outside the United States for less than one year and who intend to return to the U.S. within 30 days.

What should I bring to the appointment?

  • Your valid passport (if you lost your passport or had your passport stolen, we will not be able to issue you a Boarding Foil until you have applied for and obtained a new one);
  • Original Form I-131A completed and signed;
  • Proof that the application fee has been paid;
  • Police Report (if your Permanent Resident Card (I-551) was lost/stolen);
  • Proof of being outside the United States for less than one year since last departure, such as flight ticket / electronic itinerary which shows your last departure from the United States and your upcoming return to the US;
  • One passport photo in color 5×5 cm, full face, white background.

Expired Permanent Resident Cards (Form 1-551)

Although regulations generally require a Legal Permanent Resident to travel to the United States with a valid Permanent Resident Card (Green Card), CBP policy permits a transportation carrier bound for the United States to board an LPR with an expired Green Card without penalty as long as the following applies:

  • You are an LPR and your Green Card was issued with a 10-year expiration date, or
  • You are an LPR with an expired Green Card with a two-year expiration date AND you also have a Form I-797, Notice of Action, for Form I-751 or Form I-829 to remove the conditions on your permanent resident status. The Notice of Action extends the validity of the Green Card for a specified length of time, generally one year.

For more information about international travel as a Permanent Resident, please see the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services website.