Visas for Children

On this page: Questions and Answers

Questions and Answers

Questions and Answers

Q: Do children need a visa?
A: All travelers, including children, need a visa to travel to the United States or must qualify to travel without a visa through a special program, such as the Visa Waiver Program.

Q: Do children pay the same application fee as adults?
A: Yes, they do.

Q: Do children need to schedule an interview appointment?
A: Every applicant requires an appointment.

Q: Do all children have to come in person for their appointment?
A: No, only children who are age 14 and older are required to appear in person for fingerprint scanning. Also, children of any age applying for F1 or M1 visas are required to appear in person for an interview

Q: Does a child need to travel with his/her own travel document or can he/she be registered into the parent’s travel passport?
A: Yes, a child must have his/her own passport to receive a visa.  If the child does not have a passport, or an expired passport that can be extended, he/she will have to receive a passport waiver.