Diplomatic and Government Officials

On this page:


G-1 through G-4 visas may be issued to diplomats and other government officials for official travel to the United States. Generally, the type of visa required by a diplomat or other government official depends upon their purpose of travel to the United States. There are very specific requirements which must be met by applicants in order to qualify for A, G or NATO visas under U.S. immigration law.

Applications for A-1, A-2, and G-1 through G-4 visas for Swedish nationals must be submitted to the U.S. Embassy Consular Section through the Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs, or the protocol office of the official employee/representative. Third country national applications for A-1 and A-2 visas may be submitted by courier to the U.S. Embassy Consular Section from accredited diplomatic missions in Sweden. A diplomatic note must accompany all A-1, A-2, and G1 through G-4 visa applications.

Applications for G-1 through G-4 visas may be submitted directly to the U.S. Embassy. All G-1 through G-4 visa applications must be accompanied by a diplomatic note or, for international organizations, an official letter requesting the issuance of a G visa. Do not pay an MRV visa application fee through this site, as it will not be refunded.

Note: Applicants for these type of visas do not need to appear for an in-person interview. However any diplomat or government official traveling to the U.S. for tourism or other non-official travel must submit a DS-160 form and appear for an in-person interview.

More Information

For more information, please visit this web page or consult with your government or agency's administrative office responsible for visa issues.

You can visit the Department of State website for additional information about qualifying for Diplomatic and Official visas and for more specific information about A visas and G visas.