Renew My Visa

On this page:


The U.S. visa application process is the same whether you are applying for the first time or renewing your visa. It is important to know that your visa may still be valid if the passport it is in expires. You can travel to the United States with your old passport containing a valid visa and your new, valid passport, provided that the visa page is not damaged or cancelled.

 To facilitate the renewal process for nonimmigrant visas, the Consular Section accepts renewal applications for some visa applicants without requiring an in-person interview. In many cases, applicants do not need to appear at the Embassy at all. 

However, to be able to qualify for the renewal process, you must meet the following requirements:

  • You are a resident of Tunisia or Libya;
  • You are over 80 or under 14. Or;
  • You are applying for an F, J, or M visa. and have held a U.S. visa before.
  • Had prior C1/D that will expire soon or has not expired more than 48 months ago
  • You were not refused a visa at your last interview;
  • Your prior visa was not lost, stolen or revoked and you can submit your passport with your prior visa;

If during the evaluation of your application the consular officer needs more information to decide if you are eligible for the visa, an interview may be required. In such cases, your passport will be returned to you and your application will remain pending until you have had an opportunity to appear for an interview.

It may take up to one month before your request for an interview waiver is processed.  Please do not contact the Consulate General to inquire about the status of your request unless it has been more than four weeks since you submitted your passport to Aramex.

PLEASE NOTE: if you are applying as a family group, and members of your family are (1) under the age of 14 or over the age of 80, (2) are residents or citizens of Tunisia or Libya, and (3) have never been denied a visa to the United States, these individuals do not need a visa appointment.  Please bring their DS-160 and proof of payment for their visa to your visa appointment (plus their birth certificate in the case of children under the age of 14).

Apply for a U.S. nonimmigrant visa