Diplomatic and Government Officials

On this page:


G-1 through G-4 visas may be issued to diplomats and other government officials for official travel to the United States. Generally, the type of visa required by a diplomat or other government official depends upon their purpose of travel to the United States. There are very specific requirements which must be met by applicants in order to qualify for A, G or NATO visas under U.S. immigration law.

Applications from diplomatic or government official must be submitted through the following website:  https://ceac.state.gov/genniv Once the application is completed, please deliver the following items to the Embassy:

  • Confirmation barcode sheet
  • Valid passport
  • One visa photo, no longer than six months old
  • A diplomatic note, or for international organizations, an official letter. This letter must provide specific details about the applicant’s mission to the United States.

The Consular Section will accept applications Monday through Friday, from 8 to 12 p.m., or 1 to 4 p.m. Applications may be delivered via courier, since an interview or personal appearance by the applicant is not required. The Embassy encourages the submission of applications at least one week prior to departure given that some applications require further administrative processing.Finally, do not pay an MRV visa application fee through this site, as it will not be refunded.

Note: If for any reason the traveler stops filling out the application online before it has been completed, please click the “Save” button at the bottom of the last completed page. 

More Information

For more information, please visit this web page or consult with your government or agency's administrative office responsible for visa issues.

You can visit the Department of State website for additional information about qualifying for Diplomatic and Official visas and for more specific information about and G visas.