Diplomatic and Government Officials

On this page:


Diplomats, government officials, NATO defense officials, other foreign government officials, and workers at recognized international organizations like the United Nations coming to the United States to engage in official duties qualify for a special type of no-fee visa.  These visa applications can be submitted by courier or mailed directly to the US Consular Section. For more information, please visit this page.

Diplomats and other foreign government officials traveling to the United States to engage solely in official duties or activities on behalf of their national government must obtain A-1 or A-2 visas prior to entering the United States.  A diplomatic note requesting the issuance of a A-1, or A-2 visa must accompany all applications.

 Diplomats, government officials, and employees who will work for international organizations in the United States need G visas. To receive a G-1, G-2, G-3, or G-4 visa, you must be traveling to attend meetings at, visit, or work at a designated international organization. An official letter requesting the issuance of a G visa must accompany all applications.  Many United Nations personnel will also require Travel Orders from the UN Transportation Office.

 To receive a NATO-1, NATO-2, NATO-3, NATO-4, NATO-5, or NATO-6 visa, you must be traveling to the United States under the applicable provision of the Agreement on the Status of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization or the Protocol on the Status of International Military Headquarters set up Pursuant to the North Atlantic Treaty.  This includes national representatives, international staff, military, and immediate family members. NATO-1 through NATO-6 visa applications must be accompanied by a NATO Travel Order and an official letter requesting the issuance of a NATO visa.

 Diplomats, government officials or members of the military traveling as tourists need a B visa or, if eligible, travel on the Visa Waiver Program (VWP).

Local government officials representing their state, province, borough or other local political entity do not qualify for diplomatic- or official visa.

More Information

Here you can find more information about A visas , G visas and NATO visas.